The Silver Award is the second level of the Gaisce Award. You can apply for the Silver Award once you’re between the ages of 16-25, and you don’t need to have completed a Bronze Award to apply (although that will make it a little shorter). An application fee of €20 applies for the Silver Award.
The Silver Gaisce Award programme includes the four key Gaisce challenge areas:
With exception to the Adventure Journey, each challenge area requires a minimum participation of 1 hour per week for 26 weeks. The Adventure Journey takes place over a minimum of 3 days and 2 nights.
If you have completed a Bronze Award, you just need to fulfil the requirements above, and so your Silver Award will take at least 26 weeks to complete. If you haven’t completed a Bronze Award, an additional 26 weeks must completed in one challenge area of your choice. This could be an activity you really enjoyed, or an activity in which you feel you still have room for improvement. As a result, it will take at least 52 weeks to complete your Silver Award, however everyone is free to complete the award at their own pace.
Starting Your Award
- Find a PAL! Your best bet will be in an organisation that you’re a part of: a youth group, your school, or perhaps a community or sports club. If you’ve completed your Bronze Award, your PAL from that Award might be willing to help you continue to Silver. If you can’t find a PAL, get in touch with Gaisce and we will try to find one for you. Your PAL will be a key support for you through your whole Award. All Gaisce PALs have been trained and screened by us so that they can give you the support that you need.
- Talk to your PAL before registering and agree the activities you want to do for your Award.
- Register and pay for your application. You can do this on our online system on this website. You will need to have done steps 1 and 2 first as you’ll need to select your PAL and register your activities.
- Connect with Gaisce on Facebook and Twitter for all Gaisce news, as well as exclusive competitions for Gaisce participants! We’ve given away vouchers and tickets to concerts in the past, so keep an eye out!
- Download your record sheet. This is how you will keep a record of your participation in your activities, and where your activity leaders will sign off for you.
- Keep in touch with your PAL once you have started your activities. They’re there to help if you run into any trouble.
- Enjoy taking part in Gaisce!