Gaisce – The President’s Award together with Foróige are seeking volunteer leaders and new members for a brand new and unique type of club. The club will be be run as a regular Foróige club but with a focus on members working towards achieving their Silver Gaisce Award.
FOR ADULT VOLUNTEERS:
The Role of a Gaisce/Foróige Club Volunteer Leader:
This role requires volunteers to co-ordinate weekly meetings for a group of young people. The group will be aged between 15 and 17 and there will be approximately 10-20 young people in the club with up to three volunteers. Unlike regular Foróige clubs, the primary focus of this club will be on members achieving their Gaisce Silver Awards and the role of the club volunteers will be to facilitate this. This new Foróige Club will provide the setting for the young people to achieve their Silver Gaisce Award in a non-school setting. Since it will be a Foróige Club, members will also have the option of engaging in Foróige programmes, especially as part of their Gaisce Award.
Specific duties of adult volunteer:
- Attend Induction training facilitated by Foróige.
- Time commitment of a minimum of 1.5 hours per week on Tuesday evenings for approximately 9 months.
- Co-ordinate the weekly club sessions with other volunteer leaders.
- Support members though the Gaisce and Foróige programmes.
- Encourage group activities, participation and engagement.
- Track progress of participants/members and sign off when complete.
Type of candidate required for adult volunteer role:
We are seeking candidates that:
- Are over 18 years old.
- Have an interest in youth work and can engage with young people.
- May have a background as a teacher, youth worker, student or are already involved with Gaisce or Foróige as a volunteer.
Benefits of Gaisce/ Foróige Adult Volunteer Leader role:
This is a great opportunity for people to:
- Give back and help young people to challenge themselves to achieve their goals.
- Gain valuable work experience – working with young people, running a weekly youth club and mentoring the members.
- For Gold Gaisce participants who are over 18, this role can be used to fulfil the requirements for one Gaisce Challenge Area: Community Involvement or Personal Skill.
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE/ NEW MEMBERS:
How can young people join the club and start their Silver Gaisce Journey?
The registration night for this club will take place on Tuesday 6th of November 6.30pm-7.30pm in Co. Wicklow Foróige Office, The WAY Project, 1 Earlton House, South Quay, Wicklow Town.
° (Registration will be prioritised on a first come basis, places are limited). Parents/Guardian must attend to complete permission form on the night.
Fees: €30 Foróige membership fee (Due to be paid upon registering the 6th Nov) + €20 Gaisce Silver Award fee ( to be arranged, please discuss with volunteers).