GAISCE – THE PRESIDENT’S AWARD / JOB SPECIFICATION
Position: Public Affairs and Communications Manager
Reporting: To the CEO
Contract: Full-time permanent (following successful completion of a 6-month probationary period)
Salary: €40,000 – €55,000+ (depending on experience)
Location: Phoenix Park, Dublin 8 (some travel may be necessary)
We are looking for a talented public affairs / communications professional with a track record of achievement to significantly increase the profile of Gaisce – The President’s Award through strategic relationship management, and to oversee the communications and events function within the organisation. As Gaisce approaches its 35th anniversary in 2020, this is an exciting time to join an important national youth organisation.
About Gaisce – The President’s Award
Gaisce – The President’s Award is a self-development programme for young people aged 15-25 which is proven to enhance confidence and wellbeing through participation in personal, physical and community challenges. Gaisce is non-competitive and self-directed: participants set and achieve their own goals with the support of a trained, adult – their President’s Award Leader (or PAL). The Gaisce programme is delivered by over 1,200 PALs working and volunteering in a variety of organisations across Ireland (Gaisce Award Partners). There are three levels of Gaisce – Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Gaisce is a direct challenge from the President of Ireland to young people to dream big and realise their potential. The patron of Gaisce is the President of Ireland and all Gaisce Awards bear the President’s signature and are presented in the name of Uachtarán na hÉireann. Since its inception in 1985, more than 190,000 Gaisce Awards across all levels have been achieved. For more information about Gaisce, please visit: www.gaisce.ie
Reporting to the CEO, the role of the Public Affairs and Communications Manager will be to significantly raise the profile of Gaisce – The President’s Award amongst key stakeholder groups. In addition to creating and implementing a media/PR strategy, the individual will manage a small team, overseeing all communications, events and related activity. A particular focus in the first year will be the implementation of the organisation’s 35th anniversary plan. The individual will work closely with the CEO and Operations and Development Manager and, depending on experience, may be a member of the senior management team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and deliver an ambitious external communications plan that will significantly enhance awareness of Gaisce and the Gaisce story amongst key policy and decision makers across the public and private sector;
- Develop and enhance Gaisce’s relationships with national, local and online media;
- Implement Gaisce’s 35th anniversary plans (opportunity to review and enhance);
- Build and maintain effective relationships and networks to advance objectives of the organisation including with media, C&V/youth organisations, supporters and policy makers.
- Oversee delivery of the organisation’s communication, event and engagement strategies and workplans to agreed targets.
- Manage a small team (currently, Events and Engagement Officer and Marketing and Communications Officer), motivating and empowering them to perform to the best of their ability and in according with the HR policies and procedures of the organisation.
- Carefully manage annual budgets, ensuring objectives are met within budget;
- Work closely with the Operations and Development Manager, supporting the CEO.
- Measure, evaluate and report on activities on a regular basis and as requested.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time, commensurate with the nature of the post.
- Act in the best interest of Gaisce and in line with the vision and mission of the organisation.
Person Specification (E: essential; D: desirable)
Knowledge, Training and Qualification
- Graduate in a relevant discipline (communications, PR, marketing) or equivalent (E)
- Highly IT literate (including MS Office) with strong grasp of CRM software and data management (E) (experience of Salesforce an advantage)
Experience, Skills and Attributes
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience in developing and successfully implementing communications and/or public affairs, PR or marketing strategies (E)
- Experience of creating, developing and managing key external relationships and/or partnerships (E)
- Demonstrable ability to operate at a strategic level, converting strategies into successful implementation plans (E)
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and influencing skills (E)
- Excellent project management, people management, organisational and planning skills (E)
- Excellent strategic, analytical and evaluation skills (E)
- Data analysis, problem solving and decision-making capabilities (E)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (in English) (E)
- Experience developing and/or implementing digital marketing strategies (D)
- Understanding of website content management and development (D)
- Experience of organising events, award ceremonies, press launches, press photocalls (D)
- Familiarity with the community and voluntary sector (youth sector a particular advantage) (D)
- Familiarity with the Gaisce programme (D)
Gaisce’s Core Competency Framework
Gaisce has identified six key abilities required across the organisation to ensure the organisation can deliver and excel. These are:
- Personal & Professional Development
- Planning, Scheduling and Delivery
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Communications/Event Team
- Operations and Development Manager / Operations Team
This is a full-time permanent position, following the successful completion of a 6-month probationary period. The annual gross salary offered will be commensurate with experience. Gaisce is open to receiving applications from individuals at various stages of their career and the seniority of the post and an appropriate salary will be determined accordingly. There is a holiday entitlement of 25 days in the first year, excluding public holidays.
The role will be subject to Garda Vetting and reference checks.
The appointment is covered by the Single Public Service Pension Scheme and membership of the scheme will be compulsory for the successful candidate. The role will be liable for the Annual Superannuation Contribution (further details here ).
Applications for the post are by application form only.
Applications available by download here or by request to email@example.com . Completed application forms should be sent either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Public Affairs / Communications Manager’ or by post (marked ‘Private & Confidential, Public Affairs / Communications Manager’) to: Gaisce – The President’s Award, Ratra House, North Road, Phoenix Park, Dublin D08 YD62. Queries can be addressed to the same email address. No late applications can be accepted
Closing dates for applications is strictly 12 noon on Monday 30th March 2020 with a view to interviews being held w/c Monday 6th April.
All applications received within the deadline will be screened against the role requirements and the person specification. Unfortunately, we may not be able to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.
Gaisce, Gradam an Uachtaráin – the President’s Award is committed to best practice and operates on the basis of equal opportunities. Applications are therefore invited from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates. Appointment will be based solely on merit and canvassing will disqualify.