Gold Award only
At the heart of the Residential Project is the undertaking of a purposeful experience with people who are not the Participant’s usual companions, working towards a common goal. You are also outside of your usual place of residence, often in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar people.
The Residential Project rewards Gold Award participants with a sense of personal achievement, enhanced social connection with new people, and an opportunity to have a life changing experience through:
- Learning how to plan, prepare, undertake and complete the journey as part of a team.
- Broadening your experience through involvement with others
- Experiencing an unfamiliar environment
- Experiencing a sense of shared purpose with people who are not your usual companions
- Working towards a common goal
- Developing the attributes of determination and perseverance
For this section, participants must:
- Be undertaking the Gold Award and choose the experience yourself
- Undertake shared purposeful activity which provides opportunities for broadening your interests and experience.
- Reside away from your usual place of residence for a total period of no less than five days and four nights.
- Be in the company of others who are, in the majority, not your usual companions.
- Undergo briefing and/or training (if required) prior to or during the residential period so that you are able to contribute fully to the activity and derive full benefit from the experience.
- Not gain materially from the experience, although assistance may be sought for transport, accommodation and meals.
This project requires a shared activity with a group in a residential setting for 5 days and 4 nights. For example
Irish Language Course (Gaeltacht)
Other Language Courses
Skills & Leadership Course
Residential Youth Camp
Residential Sports Course
Overseas volunteer in a Care Facility or Hospital
Mountain Leaders Course
Children’s Camps (Barretstown / Sunshine House)
Overseas Charity Volunteer
Environmental/ Conservation Projects
Volunteer in a Care Home
Assisting Pilgrimages (Lourdes/ Knock)