Taking part in #BulbsForBees is easy! Gaisce – The President’s Award is asking people across Ireland to plant a pollinator friendly bulb in whatever patch they have (garden, pot, planter or field!) Simply plant a pollinator friendly bulb in a pot, a container or directly into the soil in your garden.
If you are a community or youth group, you can call into your local development office to collect bulbs free of charge which have been made available with support from the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration, and Youth. A full list of participating Irish Local Development Network pick-up points are available here.
Get the best from your bulbs! 🌱
- Bulbs can be planted in a pot, a window box or container or directly into the soil.
- Ensure that bulbs have good drainage and access to sunlight to ensure a full bloom in the Spring.
- Prepare and loosen the soil and place the bulb with its pointy end up and roots down.
- As a general rule, bulbs should be planted 2 to 3 times as deep as the bulb is tall.
- Newly planted bulbs will be thirsty so give them a good watering!
- These hardy bulbs will return year after year meaning you will get lots of enjoyment from one season of planting.