GAISCE – THE PRESIDENT’S AWARD / JOB SPECIFICATION
Position: Communications Manager
Reporting to: The CEO
Contract: Fixed-term position for 3 years (with opportunity to extend)
Salary: €40,000 – €55,000+ (dependent on experience)
Location: Dublin (some travel may be necessary)
We are looking to recruit to our team a proactive and creative communications professional with a track record of achievement to make Gaisce – The President’s Award a household name. As Gaisce approaches its 35th anniversary in 2020, this is an exciting time to join an important national youth organisation.
About Gaisce – The President’s Award
Gaisce – The President’s Award is a self-development programme for young people aged 15-25 which enhances confidence and wellbeing through participation in personal, physical and community challenges. Gaisce is non-competitive: participants set and achieve goals with the support of a trained, adult President’s Award Leader (or PAL). The Gaisce programme is delivered by over 1,000 PALs working and volunteering in a variety of organisations across Ireland (Gaisce Award Partners). There are three levels of Gaisce – Bronze, Silver and Gold.
The patron of Gaisce is the President of Ireland. All Gaisce Awards bear the President’s signature and are presented in the name of Uachtarán na hÉireann. Gaisce is a direct challenge from the President of Ireland to young people to dream big and realise their potential.
Reporting to the CEO, the role of the Communications Manager will be to create, implement and manage a multi-platform (branding, digital, media and PR) communications strategy that will substantially elevate awareness of Gaisce and the value of the Gaisce Awards amongst key stakeholders, both internal and external. This is a leadership role within the organisation and the successful candidate will be responsible for all communications, marketing, events and related activities, and will have line management responsibilities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and deliver an external communications plan that will significantly enhance awareness of Gaisce and the Gaisce story amongst key policy and decision makers across the public and private sector;
- Develop and enhance Gaisce’s relationship with both national and local media;
- Design and manage an integrated internal communications plan to reach and engage key internal stakeholders including young people, Gaisce participants, Awardees, President Award Leaders and Gaisce Award Partners.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a digital strategy with a particular emphasis on website content, social media, digital advertising, email marketing, video and mobile.
- Oversee all Gaisce’s online and printed communication materials, ensuring all communication activities are managed appropriately, professionally and in line with best practice and data protection legislation.
- Oversee Gaisce’s internal communications, managing the creation of key messaging and production of relevant materials to support organisational initiatives to ensure a consistent and professional message is conveyed.
- Oversee the planning, coordination and management of Gaisce Award Ceremonies and a calendar of events to meet objectives.
- Build and maintain effective relationships and networks to advance objectives of the organisation including with media, C&V/youth organisations, supporters and policy makers.
- Manage a small team (currently, Events and Engagement Officer and Marketing and Communications Officer), motivating and empowering them to perform to the best of their ability and in according with the HR policies and procedures of the organisation.
- Carefully manage (modest) annual budget, ensuring objectives are met within budget;
- Work closely with the Operations and Development Manager, supporting the CEO.
- Measure, evaluate and report on activities on a regular basis and as requested.
- Undertake other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time, commensurate with the nature of the post.
- Act in the best interest of Gaisce and in line with the vision and mission of the organisation.
Person Specification (E: essential; D: desirable)
Knowledge, Training and Qualification
- Graduate in a relevant discipline (communications, PR marketing) or equivalent (E)
- Highly IT literate with strong grasp of CRM software and data management (E)
Experience, Skills and Attributes
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience in developing and successfully implementing successful communications and/or marketing/PR strategies (E)
- Demonstrable ability to operate at a strategic level, converting strategies into successful implementation plans (E)
- Proven track record of brand development for an organisation, achieving or exceeding targets (E)
- Experience developing and/or implementing digital marketing strategies (E)
- Understanding of website content management and development (E)
- Communication and influencing skills (E)
- Strategic, analytical and evaluation skills (E)
- Data analysis, problem solving and decision making capabilities (E)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (in English) (E)
- Strong ability to develop effective working relationships with diverse groups (E)
- Experience of organising events, award ceremonies, press launches, press photocalls (D)
- Familiarity with the community and voluntary sector (youth sector a particular advantage) (D)
- Familiarity with the Gaisce programme (D)
Gaisce’s Core Competency Framework
Gaisce has identified six key abilities required across the organisation to ensure the organisation can deliver and excel. These are:
- Personal & Professional Development
- Planning, Scheduling and Delivery
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Communications Team
- Operations and Development Manager / Operations Team
This is a 3-year fixed term appointment, with an opportunity to extend. There will be a 6-month probationary period. The appointment is covered by the Single Public Service Pension Scheme and membership of the scheme will be compulsory for the successful candidate. The salary will be liable for PRD (Pension-Related Deduction) which will be replaced by Annual Superannuation Contribution from January 1st 2019. There is a holiday entitlement of 25 days in the first year, excluding public holidays.
Applications for the post are by only. Applications available on the Gaisce website or by request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed application forms should be sent either by email to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Communications Manager’ or by post (marked ‘Private & Confidential / Communications Manager’) to: Gaisce – The President’s Award, Ratra House, North Road, Phoenix Park, Dublin D08 YD62. Queries can be addressed to the same email address.
Closing dates for applications is 9am on Tuesday 30th October with a view to interviews being held w/c mid-November.
All applications received within the deadline will be screened against the role requirements and the person specification.
Gaisce, Gradam an Uachtaráin – the President’s Award is committed to best practice and operates on the basis of equal opportunities. Applications are therefore invited from all suitably qualified and eligible candidates. Appointment will be based solely on merit and canvassing will disqualify.